Historic Downtown Walking Tours
Set out with a local tour guide for a walk covering about 10 city blocks chock-full of stories. Learn how the thirst for gold literally changed the landscape of downtown Juneau. Hear the tales of prominent personalities and families from the early days. Tour includes admission to the City Museum, a 20% discount on select items in the Museum Store, and tea time at Alaska’s Capital Inn, the historic home of Gold Rush pioneer John Olds. Built in 1906, the Inn has been restored and furnished with turn of the century elegance and is run as a bed and breakfast today. This tour begins at the City Museum and lasts approximately 90 minutes.
Special Walking Tours
- Downtown Juneau Geology Tour
- Historic Treadwell Mine Tour
- True Crimes: Capital Killers Tour
Price for Walking Tours
- $200.00 group rate (up to 10 people)
Walking Tour Policy:
- Tours may include inclines, stairs, and uneven ground, depending on location; all participants must read and sign the walking tour waiver before embarking on the tour.
- Tours will take place rain or shine.
- Taking photographs for personal use is allowed at the tour guide’s discretion; however, photography for commercial use and audio or video recordings of any kind are not permitted.
- The only animals allowed on walking tours are service animals.
- Cancellations/Refunds: Participants who pay in advance may receive a full refund if they notify the City Museum of their cancellation at least 2 days before their tour is scheduled. Participants may also elect to transfer their reservation to another tour occurring during the same calendar year, as long as the tour has space available. Reservations cancelled with fewer than 2 days notice will not be refunded.
- Special Group Tours: The Museum may elect to arrange special tours for groups outside of our normal tour times as long as a tour guide is available and we have enough advanced notice. Group tours must be paid for at the time the tour is booked and are subject to the cancellation and refund policy as stated above. Group tour organizers must also fill out and sign a group tour reservation form, acknowledging their understanding and acceptance of our walking tours policy. Contact the Museum for more information or to obtain a group tour reservation form.
May through September
Tickets for 2020 Walking Tours On Sale April 2020
For more information email us at
or call 907 586-3572.