Boards, Committees, Commissions & Task Forces
- CBJ Board Application (fillable .pdf form)
- CBJ Board/Committee Informational Pamphlet
- Rules of Procedure for Advisory Boards – Resolution 2686
- Assembly Rules of Procedure – Resolution 2781
- Board Archive Page (for boards no longer in effect)
- Planning Commission – Hearing procedures related to appeals (Adopted 9/10/2013)
Please note: CBJ is currently undergoing a board management overhaul and for the present, the new webpages only contain the previous board factsheets so the governing legislation links are not currently working. If you would like a copy of any particular Ordinance or Resolution, please note it’s code section or resolution/ordinance number and request a copy from the Clerk’s Office by calling 586-5278, sending an email to: City.Clerk@juneau.org via fax at 907-586-4552, or via mail to 155 S. Seward Street, Juneau, AK 99801. Thank you for your patience while we undergo these transitions!
Appointments to CBJ Boards are considered by the Assembly Human Resources Committee (HRC) at their monthly meeting held the same Monday as the Assembly meetings at 6:00p.m. in the Assembly Chambers with the exception that no HRC meetings are held in October due to Assembly reorganization following the annual election.
Upcoming and recent agendas/packets are available online at http://www.juneau.org/assemblyftp/novus.php
Contact Deputy Municipal Clerk Beth McEwen at 586-0203 or via email at Beth.McEwen@juneau.org.
1. Application forms are available outside Room 202 at the Municipal Building or can be obtained by telephoning 586-5278. The forms are also available for download here as an Adobe Acrobat file:
You will want to download and save the .pdf application form to your desktop, complete it and return it to the clerk’s office as an e-mail attachment. You may also send it via regular mail, or fax at 586-4552.
Applicants to the Local Emergency Planning Committee need to complete both a CBJ Application as well as a State LEPC Nomination Form.
2. Fill out one application for each board/commission you are applying for and mail, deliver, or fax it to: Municipal Clerk, 155 South Seward Street, Juneau, AK 99801; fax 586-4552. Email: City.Clerk@juneau.org
Qualifications to serve vary with the board, but the most important ones are having the time, interest and willingness to serve. Time requirements can vary from three hours per month to 20 hours per week. Some boards meet only seasonally or when needed so check with the clerk’s office if there is a specific board you are interested in to see if your schedule is compatible with that of the board.
3. CBJ’s empowered boards (Airport, Aquatics, Docks & Harbors, Eaglecrest Ski Area, and Bartlett Regional Hospital Boards) and Planning Commission go through a more intensive application/interview process with the Assembly. If you are interested in applying for one of these boards, please contact the clerk’s office for specific details and deadlines associated with that board’s application/appointment process.
What Happens Next – Consideration of applicants
1. You will be considered for the boards and commissions for which you apply as vacancies occur, either through the expiration of a member’s term or through a member’s resignation. For board seats becoming vacant by the expiration of a member’s term, an incumbent wishing to be reappointed can reapply for their seat by filling out the application and are considered in the same manner and process as all other applicants. Incumbents are not automatically reappointed.
2. Vacancies occur throughout the year, and applications are accepted at any time.
3. Applications are held one year for consideration. If, after that time, you are still interested in applying for a board or commission, please submit a new application.
4. The Assembly Human Resources Committee generally meet immediately preceding Regular Assembly meetings to consider recommendations for appointments to boards and commissions which are then submitted to the Assembly for confirmation.
5. The Assembly seeks to have broad representation from throughout the community so that in making appointments they consider many factors.
6. Applications are always welcome, and you should not feel discouraged if you are not quickly appointed or notified. If you do hear of a vacancy in which you are interested, it is suggested that you call to remind the Municipal Clerk you have an application on file.
Thank you for your interest.