Boards, Committees, Commissions & Task Forces
- CBJ Board Application (fillable .pdf form)
- CBJ Board/Committee Informational Pamphlet
- Rules of Procedure for Advisory Boards – Resolution 2686
- Assembly Rules of Procedure – Resolution 2781
- Board Archive Page (for boards no longer in effect)
- Planning Commission – Hearing procedures related to appeals (Adopted 9/10/2013)
Please note, we do not list our CBJ Boardmembers contact information on the website. However, copies of the board membership lists with their contact information are available upon request from the Clerk’s Office. Or if you would rather send a message to members of a particular board, at the bottom of each fact sheet is an staff liaison email address that you can send comments to. For those boards without a staff liaison you can send comments through the Clerk’s Office by email to: City.Clerk@juneau.org, via fax at 907-586-4552, or via mail to 155 S. Seward Street, Juneau, AK 99801. Please note that for our appeal boards, we usually do not provide copies of the board member contact lists as communication with boardmembers on any matter which might be the subject of an appeal or part of a quasi-judicial proceeding must be handled in accordance with that bodies rules of procedures.
Appointments to CBJ Boards are considered by the Assembly Human Resources Committee at their monthly meeting held the same Monday as the Assembly meetings at 6:00p.m. in the Assembly Chambers. Upcoming and recent agendas/packets are available online at http://www.juneau.org/assemblyftp/novus.php
Support Staff: Deputy Municipal Clerk, Beth McEwen
1. Application forms are available outside Room 202 at the Municipal Building or can be obtained by telephoning 586-5278. The forms are also available for download here as an Adobe Acrobat file:
You will want to download and save the .pdf application form to your desktop, complete it and return it to the clerk’s office as an e-mail attachment. You may also send it via regular mail, or fax at 586-4552.
Applicants to the Local Emergency Planning Committee need to complete both a CBJ Application as well as a State LEPC Nomination Form.
2. Fill out one application for each board/commission you are applying for and mail, deliver, or fax it to: Municipal Clerk, 155 South Seward Street, Juneau, AK 99801; fax 586-4552. Email: City.Clerk@juneau.org
Qualifications to serve vary with the board, but the most important ones are having the time, interest and willingness to serve. Time requirements can vary from three hours per month to 20 hours per week. Some boards meet only seasonally or when needed so check with the clerk’s office if there is a specific board you are interested in to see if your schedule is compatible with that of the board.
3. CBJ’s empowered boards (Airport, Aquatics, Docks & Harbors, Eaglecrest Ski Area, and Bartlett Regional Hospital Boards) and Planning Commission go through a more intensive application/interview process with the Assembly. If you are interested in applying for one of these boards, please contact the clerk’s office for specific details and deadlines associated with that board’s application/appointment process.
What Happens Next – Consideration of applicants
1. You will be considered for the boards and commissions for which you apply as vacancies occur, either through the expiration of a member’s term or through a member’s resignation. For board seats becoming vacant by the expiration of a member’s term, an incumbent wishing to be reappointed can reapply for their seat by filling out the application and are considered in the same manner and process as all other applicants. Incumbents are not automatically reappointed.
2. Vacancies occur throughout the year, and applications are accepted at any time.
3. Applications are held one year for consideration. If, after that time, you are still interested in applying for a board or commission, please submit a new application.
4. The Assembly Human Resources Committee generally meet immediately preceding Regular Assembly meetings to consider recommendations for appointments to boards and commissions which are then submitted to the Assembly for confirmation.
5. The Assembly seeks to have broad representation from throughout the community so that in making appointments they consider many factors.
6. Applications are always welcome, and you should not feel discouraged if you are not quickly appointed or notified. If you do hear of a vacancy in which you are interested, it is suggested that you call to remind the Municipal Clerk you have an application on file.
Thank you for your interest.