Educational Programs at the City Museum
A Place to Explore, Learn, and Grow…
Students travel back in time, become detectives and explorers, and experience artwork by local artists when they visit the City Museum. Museum programs offer educators new ways to reinforce lesson plans with the help of historical artifacts and images, interactive exhibits, and activities. Museum staff are happy to accommodate all grade levels and will work with educators to develop a program that meets the needs of students and teachers.
- Gallery Scavenger Hunt and I Spy Activity
- Themed Tours: Mining History; Montana Creek Fish Trap; The Empty Chair Memorial and more.
- Create Your Own Tour: Work with Museum staff to create a tour that meets your specific needs.
- Hands-On Mining Gallery: Juneau’s mining history, hydroelectricity in Juneau, and rocks & minerals.
- Politics, Personalities & Power Gallery: Statehood, Elizabeth Peratrovich and Civil Rights in Alaska.
- Áak’w and T’aakú Kwáan History: Alaska Native Brotherhood & Sisterhood, and a canoe interactive.
- Montana Creek Fish Trap: 500-700 year old basketry style fish trap, full-scale replica, and interactive fish trap.
- General History Gallery: Timeline, Juneau Businesses, fishing exhibit with life-size fish fact panels, and more.
- Juneau: City Built on Gold: 26-minute video on Juneau’s history.
- Local Art: both in our permanent galleries and in temporary exhibits throughout the year.
Resources for Teachers
Did you know the City Museum has education kits available to check out? Follow the link below to view our education resources.
Education tours are available during the school year. Please schedule tours at least two weeks in advance. If you are planning a self-guided tour, we strongly encourage you to contact the Museum when planning your visit to ensure all gallery spaces are available for viewing. Education tours are free, however if a tour requires extensive preparation or museum-provided materials, a $1 fee per student may apply.
Free Busing for School Tours!
Thanks to a generous grant from the Empty Chair Committee to the Friends of the Juneau-Douglas City Museum, we are able to offer free busing for school tours. Please indicate that you would like busing assistance when you schedule a Museum visit.